Lyndon’s Classical 12617

As seems usual, we’ve been talking about this project for a little while now, but the design of this guitar was decided BEFORE I decided on retirement.

Anyway, a start has been made and some very well aged Indian rosewood has been selected for the project and last week, I bent the sides and joined the top and back plates.

A word about the timber selected for Lyndon’s new guitar…

The back and sides are some Indian rosewood that I’ve had in my cupboard for over twenty years. The top chosen for the job is torrefied sitka spruce from StewMac.

So Lyndon’s guitar should sound like it’s at least 20 years old…

Lyndon was very patient with me while I addressed another couple of projects, but I’m now back on the Classical Project.

The first issue was to recreate a similar rosette to the ones used on the harp guitar and the paua shell had to come from Vietnam…

and on its arrival, I could make the classical’s rosette.

With the rosette sorted, I can now make a start on the bracing- a very fiddly and exacting job…

With all the bracing done, I can check the fit to the sides…

…and it all looks good.

I departed from my usual order of assembly on this guitar. Usually, I’d glue down the top first but this time, I thought that I’d glue the back on first so that I can clean up any glue excess and therefore have a very tidy view through the sound hole.

The braces are left in place during this process to ensure the sides are correctly aligned in the mould.